40g butter or baking fat/block
150g wholemeal flour
2 x 5ml mixed herbs
2 leeks (small)
1 red pepper
1 can chopped tomatoes (400g)
Weighing scales, mixing bowl, grater, wooden spoon, chopping board, knife, baking dish (approx. 20cm x 20cm), can opener.
- Preheat oven to 200°C or gas mark 6.
- Rub the fat into the flour until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Grate the cheese.
- Stir in the grated cheese, oats and 1 x 5 ml mixed herbs.
- Slice the leeks and red pepper.
- Quarter the mushrooms.
- Arrange the vegetables in a baking dish.
- Pour over the canned tomatoes and 1 x 5ml spoon mixed herbs.
- Sprinkle the crumble topping over the vegetables.
- Bake in the oven for 25 – 30 minutes, until golden.
- Try different combinations of vegetables, such as sweetcorn or broccoli.
- Use different herbs to vary the flavour e.g. parsley or thyme.
- Be creative with your crumble topping. Try different types of cheese e.g. parmesan or feta or add crushed digestive biscuits instead of oats.
- Serve the crumble with a side salad.
- The baking dish gets hot so remember to wear oven gloves.
Why not use the Explore Food calculator, the British Nutrition Foundation's free online nutritional analysis programme, to calculate the nutritional information for this and other Food - a fact of life recipes?
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?