1 garlic clove
2 celery sticks
100g green lentils
1 x 10ml spoon oil
400g canned chopped tomatoes
1 x 5ml spoon mixed herbs
1 x 15ml spoon tomato puree
200ml crème fraiche, reduced fat
50ml semi-skimmed milk
6 lasagne sheets
Weighing scales, chopping board, knife, peeler, garlic press, saucepan, wooden spoon, measuring spoons, measuring jug, metal spoon, ovenproof dish or foil trays.
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C or gas mark 5.
2. Prepare the ingredients:
- peel and chop the onion;
- peel and crush the garlic;
- peel and slice the carrot;
- slice the celery;
- grate the cheese.
3. Fry the onion, garlic, carrot and celery in the oil until soft - about 4 minutes.
4. Add the lentils, tomatoes, herbs and tomato puree.
5. Pour in some water, just enough to cover the mixture, bring to the boil and then allow to simmer for 15 minutes with the lid on.
6. Blend the crème fraiche, half the grated cheese, milk and pepper together.
7. In an ovenproof dish or foil tray, spread some lentil mixture in the bottom, cover with lasagne sheets and a little crème fraiche sauce. Repeat this, finishing with the sauce on top.
8. Sprinkle the remaining grated cheese on top and bake for 20 minutes.
- Experiment with different herbs, for example fresh basil or oregano for different flavour sensations!
- Try using different vegetables such as courgettes, peppers or aubergine.
Why not use the Explore Food calculator, the British Nutrition Foundation's free online nutritional analysis programme, to calculate the nutritional information for this and other Food - a fact of life recipes?
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?