225g lean braising steak
1 small potato
2 x 10ml spoon water
400g shortcrust pastry
Chopping board, vegetable knife, peeler, measuring spoons, large bowl, spoon, flour dredger, rolling pin, small side plate, small bowl, fork, fish slice, pastry brush, oven gloves, baking tray.
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C or gas mark 4.
2. Prepare the filling ingredients:
- dice the meat;
- peel and chop the onion;
- peel and chop the swede.
3. Put the meat, potato, onion, swede and water into the small bowl. Season with a few twists of black pepper.
4. Mix everything together.
5. Divide the pastry into four.
6. Take one piece of the pastry and, on a lightly floured surface, roll it out. Place the small plate on top and cut around the plate to make a circle.
7. Place 3 to 4 spoons of filling in the middle of the circle.
8. Beat the egg in a small bowl.
9. Brush the edges of the pastry with the beaten egg.
10. Pull up the two opposite sides of pastry and pinch them together all the way along.
11. Brush the pastie with a little beaten egg, then transfer it on to a baking tray.
12. Repeat this with the remaining pastry and filling.
13. Carefully, place the baking tray into the hot oven wearing oven gloves.
14. Bake the pasties for one hour.
15. Wearing oven gloves, remove the pasties from the oven. Place onto a cooling rack.
- Use a different chopping board and knife to cut the meat and vegetables.
- Use different fillings e.g. cheese and onion, or mixed vegetables.
Why not use the Explore Food calculator, the British Nutrition Foundation's free online nutritional analysis programme, to calculate the nutritional information for this and other Food - a fact of life recipes?
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?