150g plain flour
100g butter or baking fat/block
50g caster sugar
Weighing scales, mixing bowl, flour dredger, rolling pin, pallete knife, baking tray, knife, fork, oven gloves, cooling rack.
- Preheat the oven to 170°C or gas mark 3.
- Place the flour, sugar and fat into the bowl.
- Rub together firmly using your hands until the mixture forms a ball.
- Place the dough on a floured work surface and roll out the shortbread into a circle.
- Transfer onto the baking tray.
- Mark the shortbread into 8 pieces, prick with a fork and crimp the edges.
- Wearing oven gloves, place the baking tray into a hot oven.
- Bake the shortbread for 10 - 15 minutes, until golden brown.
- Wearing oven gloves, remove the shortbread from the oven. Allow to cool and then place onto a cooling rack.
- Add the zest of a lemon, lime or orange for an extra twist.
- Why not add some dried fruit or spice?
Why not use the Explore Food calculator, the British Nutrition Foundation's free online nutritional analysis programme, to calculate the nutritional information for this and other Food - a fact of life recipes?
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?