1 red pepper
1 clove garlic
350g penne pasta
1 x 15ml spoon oil
2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
Fresh basil leaves or 1 x 5ml spoon dried basil
200g baby spinach
20g parmesan cheese
Chopping board, vegetable knife, garlic press, large saucepan, frying pan, mixing spoon, colander, ovenproof dish.
- Prepare the ingredients:
- deseed and chop the red pepper;
- peel and chop the onion;
- peel and crush the garlic;
- slice the mozzarella cheese;
- grate the parmesan cheese.
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil, add the pasta and cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the peppers, onion and garlic and cook gently for about 5 minutes until the peppers and onion are soft.
- Stir in the chopped tomatoes and basil. Simmer for 5 – 10 minutes.
- When the pasta is cooked remove from the heat and stir in the spinach and allow to wilt.
- Drain the pasta and spinach thoroughly and then return to the saucepan.
- Stir in the tomato sauce and mix. Season with black pepper.
- Place the pasta and sauce in a shallow ovenproof dish. Lay the sliced mozzarella cheese on top of the pasta. Add the grated parmesan cheese.
- Heat the grill. Place the dish under the grill and cook until lightly browned.
- Use whole wheat pasta for added fibre.
- Why not use the sauce to top fish such as coley, haddock or hake.
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?