1 red pepper
1 clove garlic
350g penne pasta
1 x 15ml spoon oil
2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
Fresh basil leaves or 1 x 5ml spoon dried basil
200g baby spinach
20g parmesan cheese
Chopping board, vegetable knife, garlic press, large saucepan, frying pan, mixing spoon, colander, ovenproof dish.
- Prepare the ingredients:
-deseed and chop the red pepper;
-peel and chop the onion;
-peel and crush the garlic;
-slice the mozzarella cheese;
-grate the parmesan cheese.
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil, add the pasta and cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the peppers, onion and garlic and cook gently for about 5 minutes until the peppers and onion are soft.
- Stir in the chopped tomatoes and basil. Simmer for 5 – 10 minutes.
- When the pasta is cooked remove from the heat and stir in the spinach and allow to wilt.
- Drain the pasta and spinach thoroughly and then return to the saucepan.
- Stir in the tomato sauce and mix. Season with black pepper.
- Place the pasta and sauce in a shallow ovenproof dish. Lay the sliced mozzarella cheese on top of the pasta. Add the grated parmesan cheese.
- Heat the grill. Place the dish under the grill and cook until lightly browned.
- Use whole wheat pasta for added fibre.
- Why not use the sauce to top fish such as coley, haddock or hake.
Why not use the Explore Food calculator, the British Nutrition Foundation's free online nutritional analysis programme, to calculate the nutritional information for this and other Food - a fact of life recipes?
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?