1 fresh red chilli or 1x 5ml spoon chilli flakes
1 orange or yellow pepper
1x 15ml spoon oil or spray oil
1x 5ml spoon ground cumin
450g pork chipolata sausages
400g can chopped tomatoes
400g can red kidney beans
Vegetable knife, chopping board, large saucepan, sieve or colander.
1. Prepare the vegetables:
- peel and finely dice the onion;
- cut the fresh chilli in half lengthways, deseed and finely chop. Do not touch face or eyes and thoroughly wash and dry hands after touching raw chilli;
- cut pepper in half, deseed and chop.
2. Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion, chilli and ground cumin and cook for 2-3 minutes.
3. Add the pepper and sausages and brown lightly on all sides.
4. Drain and rinse the kidney beans and add to the pan with the chopped tomatoes.
5. Bring to the boil, turn down to simmer and cover with a lid.
6. Gently simmer for 30 minutes.
- There is no need to prick the sausages before cooking.
- Adjust the heat of the dish by increasing or decreasing the amount of chilli used.
- Swap the canned kidney beans for another canned bean variety of your choice, e.g. haricot, borlotti, black eyed.
- Serve with rice and a green salad.
Why not use the Explore Food calculator, the British Nutrition Foundation's free online nutritional analysis programme, to calculate the nutritional information for this and other Food - a fact of life recipes?
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?