The team at Food – a fact of life has been busy putting together a series of Knowledge organisers for both primary and secondary schools. If you are looking for resources to support pupil learning in class or to use as a revision aid, these Knowledge organisers are ideal.
Currently, there are Knowledge organisers around healthy eating and cooking for 5-7, 7-11 and 11-14 Years. There are also Knowledge organisers around healthy eating (including digestion), food hygiene, food science, sensory science, and consumer awareness for 14-16 Years.
Where food comes from and food commodities Knowledge organisers will be available over the next few months.
What is a knowledge organiser?
A Knowledge organiser collates the key facts and information on a particular topic, broken down in an easily digestible way. The FFL Knowledge organisers incorporate images, key terms and definitions (11-14 and 14-16 Years) and plenty of information suitable to each age phase.
The FFL Knowledge organisers can be edited to suit the needs of your pupils and the requirements of particular 14-16 examination specifications.
What is the purpose of FFL's Knowledge organisers?
- To provide pupils with key facts/information and what they should know and can do at each age phase.
- To provide an opportunity to learn, check and extend knowledge.
- To develop key subject specific vocabulary/terminology.
- To provide an outline of knowledge and skills that should be taught at each age phase.
- To provide consistency between teaching colleagues in the same school or group of schools.
- To support new, less-experienced and non-specialist teachers.
- To save teachers time and reduce workload.
How can they be used in lessons?
Knowledge organisers are commonly used in several ways:
- Prior to starting a topic, to encourage class discussion or for pupils to get a feel of what the topic will entail.
- Encouraging pupils to bring their knowledge organisers to class as a regular retrieval tool, to help them frame each lesson in the context of the topic.
- During class as a handy reminder of spelling, key terms and key themes of each topic.
- As a revision tool where pupils can use the Knowledge organisers to quiz themselves.
- Cut up and used as flash-cards.
- To extend pupil’s knowledge through completing related tasks.
You could print a Knowledge organiser and put it on the wall in your classroom so pupils can refer to it when required and as a reminder of the topic being worked on.
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?