This guide sets out a series of characteristics of good practice, determined via consesus with primary and secondary school practitioners, awarding organisation, intial teacher training providers, and experts in supporting pupils with additonal needs across the UK, which can be adopted as part of a good practice approach by all those that teach food and nutrition to pupils with additional needs. The guide also considers the importance of developing skills for indpendent living and the world of work, especially with catering and hospitality.
The aim of this guide is to provide a perspective on teaching pupils with additional needs and:
• define the key characteristics of good practice that are specific to teaching food and nutrition to pupils with additional needs;
• exemplify these characteristics of good practice in UK schools, both special and mainstream;
• identify exemplary practice and the school staff who could take responsibility for leading or enabling the practice, e.g. governor/head teacher/senior leadership team; curriculum lead/coordinator; special needs coordinator (SENCo); or class teacher/teaching assistant;
• highlight the key features of achieving these characteristics, showing how these can be put into practice, with case studies and suggestion of how to develop these for the future;
• support teachers that teach pupils with additional needs, especially those that are newly qualified;
• enable practising teachers to audit their own practice, to plan and implement personal and professional development goals.
Laura Kelly, food and nutrition teacher, St Columbanus’ College, Bangor, Northern Ireland, says 'Knowing my pupils means that I can plan tailored lessons and ensure that, no matter what the topic, my pupils can achieve their full potential. This new guide is an invaluable resource for teachers as it clearly sets out what we need to aim for in terms of best practice for supporting pupils with additional needs.'
A free online course based on the guide is available here.
Click on the following links or scroll down the page:
- Main guide
- Individual characteristics
- Practical food skills chart
- Reflection documents
- Webinar recordings/resources
A document from the characteristics of good practice additional needs guide.
A document from the Characteristics of good practice guide.
A reflection document on developing professional competence.
A reflection document on taking a whole school approach.
A reflection document on knowing your pupils.
A reflection document on teaching the curriculum.
A reflection document on developing skills for independent living.
A reflection document on developing skills for work.
A reflection document on running practical food lessons.
A reflection document on establishing good food hygiene and safety practices.
A reflection document on developing practical food skills.
A reflection document on exploring where food comes from.
A reflection document on healthy eating.
A reflection document on making choices.
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?