30g hard cheese, e.g. Cheddar, Edam, Gruyere
2 slices bread, preferably wholegrain
1 slice ham
Chopping board, grater, knife, fish slice.
- Preheat the grill.
- Grate cheese on a chopping board – divide into 3.
- Slice the tomato.
- Place the slices of bread on the chopping board.
- Lay the ham over one slice of bread.
- Arrange the tomato over the other slice of bread.
- Sprinkle a portion of cheese over both slices of bread.
- Place the sandwich under the hot grill.
- When the cheese is bubbling hot, remove from the grill.
- Press the 2 slices of bread together, and sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
- Place under the grill until the cheese is melted and golden.
- Use different types of bread, e.g. ciabatta, bagel, wholemeal loaf.
- Try adding different varieties of cheese, e.g. Mozzarella, Cheddar, Edam, Brie.
- Go for fruit and vegetables e.g. mushrooms, pineapple, peppers.
Why not use the Explore Food calculator, the British Nutrition Foundation's free online nutritional analysis programme, to calculate the nutritional information for this and other Food - a fact of life recipes?
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?