75g dried apricots
50g butter or soft spread
2 x 15ml spoons golden syrup
Chopping board, knife, weighing scales, measuring spoons, saucepan, wooden spoon, spatula, non-stick baking tin, palette knife.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C or gas mark 4.
- Chop the apricots into small pieces
- Place the fat, sugar and syrup into a saucepan and gently heat until the fat has melted.
- Stir in the oats and apricots.
- Pour the mixture into a non-stick (or lined) baking tray.
- Pat down the mixture in the baking tin.
- Bake for 15 - 20 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Remove from the oven and cut into ‘bars’ in the baking tin while hot.
- Vary the type of dried fruit used, e.g. sultanas, figs, mixed fruit.
- Add 1 x 15ml spoon cinnamon, ginger or mixed spice to the oat mixture
- Go for grated fresh apple or carrot.
- The baking tin gets hot so remember to use oven gloves.
Why not use the Explore Food calculator, the British Nutrition Foundation's free online nutritional analysis programme, to calculate the nutritional information for this and other Food - a fact of life recipes?
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?