100g plain flour
50g butter or baking fat/block
2-3 x 15ml spoons cold water
50g cheese, e.g. Mozzarella, Gruyere or Cheddar
Handful of basil leaves
125ml semi-skimmed milk
Weighing scales, sieve, mixing bowl, measuring spoons, palette knife, flour dredger, rolling pin, sandwich tin or 18cm flan ring, fork, chopping board, knife, grater, measuring jug, baking tray.
1. Preheat oven to 180°C or gas mark 4.
2. Make up the shortcrust pastry:
- Sift the flour into the bowl.
- Rub in the fat into the flour, using your fingertips, until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- add the cold water and start to mix together;
- mix to form a firm, smooth dough.
3. Roll out the pastry, on a lightly floured surface.
4. Line the flan ring or sandwich tin.
5. Trim the edges of the pastry using the palette knife.
6. Prick the bottom of the pastry with a fork.
7. Slice the tomatoes.
8. Slice the cheese.
9. Whisk the eggs and milk together in the measuring jug using the fork. Tear the basil into the mixture, then add a few twists of black pepper.
10. Pour the egg mixture into the pastry shell
11. Arrange the tomato slices and cheese, over the top.
12. Place on a baking tray and bake for 30 minutes, until golden and firm.
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?