1 x 400g can chickpeas
1 clove of garlic
3 x 15ml spoons tahini
3 - 4 x 15ml spoons water
Sieve, blender, sharp knife, chopping board, lemon squeezer, measuring spoons, garlic press, spatula, can opener, serving dish.
- Drain the chickpeas and place into the blender.
- Cut the lemon in half. Squeeze the lemon and add the juice to the blender.
- Peel the garlic and add to the blender along with the tahini.
- Place the lid on the blender and switch on for 15 - 20 seconds.
- Turn the blender off. Use a spatula to move the chickpeas away from the edge of the blender. Add 1x15ml spoon of water.
- Place the lid on the blender and switch on for 15-20 seconds.
- Repeat stages 5-6 until a smooth paste is produced.
- Tahini paste contains sesame seeds. Check to make sure no one is allergic to them.
- Always get help from an adult when using a blender.
- Serve with slices of wholemeal pitta bread or carrot sticks.
- Swap the lemon for a lime, or add more garlic for extra punch! You could also try adding fresh herbs, e.g. coriander, parsley or basil.
Why not use the Explore Food calculator, the British Nutrition Foundation's free online nutritional analysis programme, to calculate the nutritional information for this and other Food - a fact of life recipes?
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?