1 clove garlic
1 green pepper
250g minced beef
2 x 5ml spoon flour
1 x beef stock cube
1 x 400g can red kidney beans
1 x 15ml spoon tomato puree
1 x 5ml spoon chilli powder
Vegetable knife, chopping board, garlic crusher, measuring spoons, saucepan, mixing spoon, measuring jug, kettle, can opener, colander.
1. Prepare the vegetables:
• peel and chop the onion;
• peel and crush the garlic;
• deseed and chop the pepper.
2. Dry fry the onion, garlic and minced beef until the mince has browned.
3. Stir in the flour.
4. Make up the stock.
5. Pour in the stock.
6. Drain the red kidney beans and add to the meat.
7. Stir in the tomato purée and chilli powder.
8. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
9. Add the green pepper and allow to cook for a further 15 minutes.
• Serve with rice, a jacket potato or a taco shell.
• A fresh cool side salad would offer relief from the hot chilli.
• Add extra chilli powder, cayenne pepper or Worcestershire sauce for an extra kick
Why not use the Explore Food calculator, the British Nutrition Foundation's free online nutritional analysis programme, to calculate the nutritional information for this and other Food - a fact of life recipes?
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?