200g plain flour
75g brown sugar
50g butter or baking fat/block
1 x 15ml spoon golden syrup
½ x 5ml spoon bicarbonate of soda
1 x 5ml spoon ground ginger
Glace cherries/currants and icing to decorate
Weighing scales, baking tray, mixing bowl, sieve, small bowl, fork, small saucepan, measuring spoons, wooden spoon, rolling pin, flour dredger, biscuit cutters, oven gloves, cooling rack.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC or gas mark 4. Grease a baking tray.
- Sift the flour, ginger and bicarbonate of soda into a mixing bowl.
- Whisk the egg in a small bowl using a fork.
- Gently melt the fat, syrup and sugar together in a small saucepan. Do not allow to boil.
- Add the syrup mixture and the beaten egg to the flour.
- Mix to form a soft dough.
- Allow the mixture to cool.
- Roll out the dough to 0.5 cm thick on a floured work surface.
- Cut into gingerbread shapes and carefully place on the baking tray.
- Decorate with currants or cherries.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes. Carefully remove from the tray and allow to cool thoroughly on a cooling rack.
- Pipe icing on top to decorate.
- To make Christmas decorations, use a star or snowflake cutter. Make a hole in the top before baking and thread ribbon through once cooled. Hang on your Christmas tree or give as gifts.
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?