15ml spoon vegetable oil
2 medium raw chicken breasts
25g frozen peas
25g sweetcorn (canned or frozen)
1 x quantity white sauce
1 x quantity shortcrust pastry
Mixing bowl, frying pan, saucepan, measuring jug, measuring spoons, sieve, palette knife, weighing scales, 2 chopping boards, sharp knife, fork and pastry brush.
- Preheat oven to 200ºC, gas mark 6.
- Make up the shortcrust pastry. Allow to rest.
- Dice the onion.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan. Add the onion and fry for 5 minutes.
- Cut the chicken into chunks.
- Add the chicken and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, peas and sweetcorn. Reduce the heat and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Make up the white sauce, with mixed herbs.
- Stir the sauce with the chicken mixture, remove from the heat.
- Lightly grease a pie dish.
- Divide the pastry into 2.
- Roll out the pastry thinly on a lightly floured surface, large enough to cover the pie dish
- Carefully place the pastry into the greased dish. Ensure that the pastry sits well in the dish.
- Trim away the excess pastry around the edges.
- Prick the base with a fork.
- Pour the chicken mixture into the dish.
- Brush the edges of the pastry with milk or water.
- Roll out the remaining pastry thinly to make the pie top.
- Carefully place the pastry over the pie.
- Trim away the excess pastry around the edge.
- Secure the edges by pressing down with a fork.
- Knock- back the edges with a palette knife to create a crust.
- Decorate your pie with pastry trimmings. Secure these with milk.
- Make an air vent in the centre of the pie lid.
- Glaze the top of the pie with milk and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remember to use separate chopping boards and knives to cut chicken and vegetables.
- Always use oven gloves when removing dishes from the oven.
- Make a vegetarian pie by replacing the chicken with a variety of seasonal vegetables.
- For a short crust pastry recipe, click here.
- For a white sauce recipe, click here.
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?