1 slice of bread from a large loaf
1 large clove of garlic
1 x 5ml spoon smoked paprika
Food processor, garlic press, sharp knife, chopping board, measuring spoon, frying pan, wooden spoon, can opener, large mixing bowl, fork, grill pan, fish slice.
- Preheat the grill.
- Blitz the bread in a food processor to make breadcrumbs.
- Peel and crush the garlic.
- Finely chop the mushrooms.
- Using the spray oil, fry the mushrooms gently with the garlic and paprika for five minutes until soft.
- Drain the chickpeas and mash with a fork.
- Mix all the ingredients together.
- Shape into 4 even sized burgers.
- Grill the burgers for 8 minutes, turning over half way through.
- Swap the chickpeas with different beans, e.g. borlotti beans, kidney beans, butter beans.
- Add cooked mashed vegetables to the burger mixture, e.g. sweet potato, carrot, butternut squash.
- Use different herbs and spices, e.g. basil, chilli flakes or curry powder.
- Use granary bread for the breadcrumbs for added texture.
Why not use the Explore Food calculator, the British Nutrition Foundation's free online nutritional analysis programme, to calculate the nutritional information for this and other Food - a fact of life recipes?
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?