1 small onion
250g lean turkey mince
1 x 5ml spoon dried mixed herbs
1 x 5ml spoon Worcestershire sauce
Ground black pepper
2 wholemeal rolls, bagels or pitta bread
Lettuce leaves or mixed salad
Pickled gherkin (optional)
Chopping board, vegetable knife, mixing bowl, mixing spoon, weighing scales, measuring spoons, grill pan, pastry brush, bread knife.
- Peel and finely chop the onion.
- Place the mince, onion, mixed herbs and Worcestershire sauce in a bowl. Season with black pepper.
- Mix the mince mixture together.
- Preheat the grill at medium.
- Divide the mince mixture into 4 and shape into burgers. Thoroughly wash and dry your hands after touching the raw meat.
- Place burgers on a grill tray and grill for 5-6 minutes each side. Check that the burgers are thoroughly cooked and there are no pink juices.
- While the burgers are cooking, shred the lettuce and slice the tomato.
- When the burgers are cooked, assemble each burger.
- Experiment using different herbs and spices to flavour the burgers.
- Use extra salad ingredients – they all count towards your 5 A Day.
- Try using pork, lamb or beef mince.
- Add grated/chopped vegetables to the burger, such as carrot, courgette or mushroom.
Why not use the Explore Food calculator, the British Nutrition Foundation's free online nutritional analysis programme, to calculate the nutritional information for this and other Food - a fact of life recipes?
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?