1 slice of bread
1 medium green chilli
1 x 400g can red kidney beans
1 x 5ml spoon ground chilli powder
1 x 5ml spoon dried mixed herbs
Food processor, mixing bowl, chopping board, knife, can opener, measuring spoons, spatula, flour dredger, fish slice.
- Preheat the grill.
- Put the bread in the food processor and blitz until it resembles breadcrumbs. Pour these crumbs into the mixing bowl.
- Cut away the top of the chilli, and then de-seed.
- Peel the onion.
- Drain the red kidney beans.
- Place the red kidney beans, onion, chilli, chilli powder and dried herbs into the food processor. Blitz together to form a thick paste-like mixture.
- Place the bean mixture into the mixing bowl with the breadcrumbs. Mix everything together thoroughly using the spatula.
- On a lightly floured chopping board, divide and shape the bean mixture into 8 small patties.
- Grill the patties for 8 minutes, turning over after 4 minutes.
- Serve in a pitta with salad.
- Try different types of beans or pulses.
- Use other herbs, spices and/or lemon instead of chilli.
- Eat with a range of different breads and fillings e.g. tomato salsa or tzatziki.
- Add vegetables to the mix e.g. sweetcorn, green pepper or grated carrot.
- The grill gets hot so remember to wear oven gloves.
Why not use the Explore Food calculator, the British Nutrition Foundation's free online nutritional analysis programme, to calculate the nutritional information for this and other Food - a fact of life recipes?
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?