1 slice of bread
1 medium green chilli
1 x 400g can red kidney beans
1 x 5ml spoon ground chilli powder
1 x 5ml spoon dried mixed herbs
Food processor, mixing bowl, chopping board, knife, can opener, measuring spoons, spatula, flour dredger, fish slice.
- Preheat the grill.
- Put the bread in the food processor and blitz until it resembles breadcrumbs. Pour these crumbs into the mixing bowl.
- Cut away the top of the chilli, and then de-seed.
- Peel the onion.
- Drain the red kidney beans.
- Place the red kidney beans, onion, chilli, chilli powder and dried herbs into the food processor. Blitz together to form a thick paste-like mixture.
- Place the bean mixture into the mixing bowl with the breadcrumbs. Mix everything together thoroughly using the spatula.
- On a lightly floured chopping board, divide and shape the bean mixture into 8 small patties.
- Grill the patties for 8 minutes, turning over after 4 minutes.
- Serve in a pitta with salad.
- Try different types of beans or pulses.
- Use other herbs, spices and/or lemon instead of chilli.
- Eat with a range of different breads and fillings e.g. tomato salsa or tzatziki.
- Add vegetables to the mix e.g. sweetcorn, green pepper or grated carrot.
- The grill gets hot so remember to wear oven gloves.
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?