1 medium onion
½ red chilli or ½ x 5ml spoon dried chilli flakes
1 red pepper
400g can chopped tomatoes
50g hard cheese, e.g. Cheddar cheese
225g lean beef mince
2x 15ml spoon tomato purée
2 flour tortillas
Vegetable knife, chopping board, sieve, grater, saucepan, colander.
1. Prepare ingredients:
- peel and dice the onion;
- deseed and finely dice the chilli; thoroughly wash and dry hands after touching chilli;
- deseed and finely dice the pepper;
- open the can of tomatoes and drain the juice using a sieve;
- grate the cheese.
2. Dry fry the mince in a saucepan with the onion until the meat is browned. Thoroughly wash and dry hands if touched the raw meat. Carefully drain off any excess liquid using a colander.
3. Add the chilli, pepper, tomato purée and drained chopped tomatoes and stir well.
4. Cover the saucepan and simmer for 15 minutes.
5. When cooked, place half the mixture in a line down the centre of the tortilla and sprinkle with cheese. Fold each side and top and bottom to make a parcel.
- To make your dish go further, add some canned red kidney beans after the chopped tomatoes.
- Serve with a mixed salad and Mexican dips of your choice.
Why not use the Explore Food calculator, the British Nutrition Foundation's free online nutritional analysis programme, to calculate the nutritional information for this and other Food - a fact of life recipes?
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?