400g pork medallions
2 garlic cloves
5 spring onions
½ red pepper
100g button mushrooms
1 x 5ml spoon mild chilli powder
2 x 5ml spoon ground turmeric
225g easy cook brown rice
450ml pork stock
1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
Ground black pepper
3 Whole cloves
Red board, vegetable knife, chopping board, garlic crusher, large saucepan with a lid, heat resistant spoon or wooden spoon, measuring spoons, measuring jug, plate
1. Remove any visible fat from the pork.
2. Cut the pork into cubes. Thoroughly wash and dry your hands after touching the raw meat.
3. Prepare the remaining ingredients:
- peel and dice the onion;
- peel and crush the garlic cloves;
- slice the spring onions into circles, reserving some green tips for garnish;
- deseed and dice the red pepper;
- quarter the button mushrooms;
- halve the courgette and slice diagonally.
4. Spray the oil into the pan and allow to heat.
5. Add pork to pan, stir and allow to brown.
6. Remove browned meat from the pan, and place on a clean plate.
7. With the pan still on the heat at the onion, garlic, chilli powder, turmeric and brown rice.
8. Stir well and cook until the rice turns opaque.
9. Add the stock and the tomatoes.
10. Season with freshly ground black pepper.
11. Sir well and turn up the heat to boil.
12. Cover with a lid and simmer for 20 minutes.
13. Add the pork, whole cloves, spring onions, red pepper, mushrooms and courgettes and stir well.
14. Cook for a further 10 minutes, or until the liquid is absorbed. Stir occasionally.
15. Sprinkle with the reserved green tops of the spring onions and serve.
- For more tender meat, cut across the grain
- Use reduced salt vegetable stock for a lower salt content
- Serve with a crisp green salad.
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?