1 small onion
2 chicken thigh fillets
½ x 5ml spoon ground ginger
½ x 5ml spoon cinnamon
½ x 5ml dried thyme
¼ x 5ml cayenne pepper
150g easy cook white rice
1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
1 x reduced salt chicken stock cube
200ml boiling water
1 bay leaf (optional)
1 x 15ml spoon parsley – garnish
Chopping board, vegetable knife, large (lidded) saucepan, mixing spoon, fish slice or tongs, small plate, measuring spoons, can opener, measuring jug.
- Prepare the ingredients:
- peel and chop the onion;
- chop the parsley (if using).
- Add the spray oil to a large saucepan and gently fry the onions and chicken fillets for 5-6 minutes until the onions are soft and the chicken browned.
- Remove the chicken and place on a plate.
- Add the ground ginger, cinnamon, thyme and cayenne pepper to the pan. Season with black pepper. Stir well and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the rice and stir.
- Add the canned tomatoes.
- Crumble in the stock cube and add 200ml boiling water. Stir well.
- Return the chicken to the pan.
- Add the bay leaf, if using.
- Bring to the boil and then reduce to a simmer.
- Cook for 15 minutes until the rice is tender and the chicken cooked. Add more boiling water if need be.
- Remove the bay leaf.
- Garnish with chopped parsley, if using, and serve.
- Use ground chilli as an alternative to cayenne pepper.
- Use brown rice for added fibre – cook for 20-25 minutes.
- Additional vegetables can be added to the rice mixture such as diced peppers or sliced okra.
- Try using chopped fresh tomatoes when they are in season.
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?