1 garlic clove
5cm piece of ginger
1 reduced salt chicken stock cube
¼ x 5ml spoon turmeric
½ x 5ml spoon curry powder
1 x 15ml spoon plain flour
2 x 15ml spoons light soy sauce
1 x 5ml spoon honey
1 x 5ml spoon rice vinegar
½ x 5ml spoon garam masala
2 x 15ml spoon cornflour
100g fresh breadcrumbs
4 chicken mini fillets or 150g block firm tofu (or half and half)
To serve (optional)
½ Cucumber or 1 carrot
Baking tray, greaseproof paper, chopping board, vegetable peeler, vegetable knife, garlic press, fine grater, measuring jug, kettle, mixing spoon, frying pan, measuring spoons, wooden spoon, 2 bowls or deep plates, tabletop/hand blender.
- Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Preheat the oven to 220° or Gas mark 7.
- Prepare the ingredients for the curry sauce:
- peel and finely chop the onion;
- peel and chop the carrot;
- peel and crush the garlic clove;
- peel and finely grate the fresh ginger;
- crumble the stock cube into a measuring jug, add 300ml boiling water and stir until dissolved.
- Spray a large frying pan with oil, place over a medium heat and add the onion, garlic, carrot and ginger. Sauté for 3-4 minutes until soft and the onions begin to caramelise.
- Stir in the turmeric and curry powder and cook for one minute.
- Stir in the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Gradually stir in the stock. Add the soy sauce and honey and simmer stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the rice vinegar and garam masala. Keep warm.
- Place the cornflour in a bowl and add 1-2 x 15ml spoons water. Season with black pepper and stir well.
- Place the breadcrumbs in another bowl.
- Dip the chicken (or tofu) into the flour mixture followed by the breadcrumbs. Turn each fillet over to make sure it is evenly coated.
- Place the coated chicken fillets on the lined baking tray. Cook for 10-15 minutes until golden brown and cooked through.
- Blitz the curry sauce using a tabletop or hand blender. Add a little extra water if needed. Taste to check seasoning.
- Serve the chicken with rice, topped with the curry sauce, katsu chicken or tofu.
- Garnish with cucumber or carrot ribbons and lime wedges.
- Try butternut squash instead of carrot in the sauce.
- Ready-made curry powder can be substituted with 2 x 15ml spoons ground coriander, 1 x 15ml spoon ground cumin, 2 x 5ml spoons ground turmeric and 1 x 5ml spoon of ground ginger. Use ½ x 5ml spoon of the home-made curry powder in this recipe.
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?