1 clove garlic
1 small aubergine
1 green pepper
2 cans chopped tomatoes (800g)
1 x 10ml spoon oil
1 handful fresh basil
Chopping board, knife, garlic press, saucepan, measuring spoons, wooden spoon, can opener.
1. Prepare the vegetables:
- peel and chop the onion;
- peel and crush the garlic;
- dice the aubergine;
- de-seed and chop the green pepper;
- slice the courgette.
2. Fry the onion and garlic in the oil for 5 minutes.
3. Add the aubergine and fry for a further 5 minutes.
4. Add the pepper, courgette and tomatoes.
5. Stir-in the torn basil leaves.
6. Bring to the boil and then simmer gently, with the lid on the saucepan, for 20-30 minutes.
- Use dried herbs if you do not have fresh basil.
- Go for different vegetables - try adding olives, mushrooms, red onions, peas or beans.
Why not use the Explore Food calculator, the British Nutrition Foundation's free online nutritional analysis programme, to calculate the nutritional information for this and other Food - a fact of life recipes?
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?