150g caster sugar
150g butter or soft spread
150g self-raising flour
1 x 5ml spoon baking powder
3 x 15ml spoon jam
oil for greasing tins
2 sandwich cake tins, greaseproof paper, pencil, scissors, pastry brush, electric hand whisk, mixing bowl, sieve, metal spoon, palette knife, cooling rack and measuring spoons.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC, gas mark 4.
- Grease and line 2 sandwich cake tins.
- Cream the sugar and butter/spread together using an electric hand whisk until light and fluffy.
- Crack the eggs into a small bowl and beat with a fork.
- Add the beaten egg a little at a time to the butter/spread and sugar.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into bowl or onto a plate or piece of greaseproof paper.
- Fold the flour and baking powder into the mixture, a spoon full at a time.
- Divide the mixture equally between the cake tins.
- Place in the oven and bake for 15 – 20 minutes, until golden brown and springy to the touch.
- Remove from the tins immediately and allow and place on a cooling rack.
- Once completely cooled, spread the jam over the base of one cake.
- Place the other sponge on top and dust with icing sugar, if desired.
- When lining a sandwich cake tin it is only necessary to line the bottom of the tin. The sides can be greased with oil.
- For a tasty alternative, try using lemon curd instead of jam.
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?