1 large flat mushroom
1 large tomato
4 rashers lean bacon
1 small can baked beans
Dash of vinegar
Chopping board, knife, can opener, saucepans, plate.
1. Prepare the vegetables:
- wash the mushroom and tomato;
- slice the mushroom thickly;
- slice the tomato in half.
2. Spray the mushroom and tomato with a little oil.
3. Lay the mushroom, tomato and bacon on a grill pan.
4. Grill for 6-8 minutes.
5. Gently warm the baked beans – either in a saucepan or microwave.
6. Check the bacon, tomato and mushroom under the grill.
7. Bring a small pan of water to the boil, add a dash of rice vinegar and gently crack an egg into the water.
8. Poach the egg in the simmering water for 3-4 minutes until set.
9. Serve all the food together on a plate.
- Look for baked beans with no added sugar and opt for reduced salt bacon to make the breakfast healthier.
- Use back bacon rather than streaky and remove the fat before eating.
- Large cans of baked beans can be better value than small ones. Share with a friend or store leftovers in a plastic container in the fridge for the next day.
Why not use the Explore Food calculator, the British Nutrition Foundation's free online nutritional analysis programme, to calculate the nutritional information for this and other Food - a fact of life recipes?
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?