60ml semi-skimmed milk
200g strong flour
1x5ml spoon baking powder
½ sachet instant yeast
1x15ml spoon low fat plain yogurt
Measuring jug, saucepan, sieve, mixing bowl, wooden spoon, baking tray, rolling pin, cooling rack.
- Warm the milk (either in a saucepan or microwave).
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl. Stir in the yeast.
- Add the yogurt, oil and warm milk.
- Mix into a soft dough.
- Knead for 10 minutes.
- Leave the dough to prove (rise) for around 30-60 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 250°C or gas mark 8.
- Place the baking tray in the oven to warm.
- Knead the dough and divide into 4.
- Roll out each piece of dough into a ‘tear’ shape (oval).
- Cook the naans on the heated tray for 3-4 minutes, until puffed up and brown.
- To make them extra special, brush the naans with a low fat spread and sprinkle with poppy or sesame seeds before baking.
- Flaked almonds, dried fruit, coconut and spices could be added to the naan mix before baking.
- Make a meal out of your naan. Once baked, stuff with your favourite curry.
Why not use the Explore Food calculator, the British Nutrition Foundation's free online nutritional analysis programme, to calculate the nutritional information for this and other Food - a fact of life recipes?
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?